Join the Team At First State Bank
Job Title: Controller
Reports to: Executive Vice President and Chief Operating Officer
Basic Function: The controller position is accountable for the accounting operations of the bank, to include assisting in the production of periodic financial reports, maintenance of an adequate system of accounting records, and a comprehensive set of controls and budgets designed to mitigate risk, enhance the accuracy of the bank's reported financial results, and ensure that reported results comply with generally accepted accounting principles, as well as state and federal banking regulations.
- Maintain a documented system of accounting policies and procedures
- Assist in the oversight of outsourced functions
- Oversee the operations of the accounting function of the bank, including the design of an organizational structure adequate for achieving the bank's goals and objectives
- Oversee the accounting operations of the bank, especially its control systems, transaction-processing operations, and policies and procedures.
- Ensure that accounts payable are paid in a timely manner
- Ensure that all reasonable discounts are taken on accounts payable
- Ensure that accounts receivable are collected promptly
- Ensure that periodic correspondent bank reconciliations are completed and outstanding items are cleared in a timely fashion
- Maintain the chart of accounts
- Maintain an orderly accounting filing system
- Maintain a system of controls over accounting transactions
- Assist in the issuance of timely and complete financial statements
- Assist in the preparation of the corporate annual report
- Recommend benchmarks against which to measure the performance of bank operations
- Assist in the calculation and issuance of financial and operating metrics
- Assist in the creation of the annual budget and forecasts
- Calculate variances from the budget and report significant issues to management
- Provide financial analyses as needed, in particular for capital investments, pricing decisions, and contract negotiations
- Oversee the bank’s vendor management program and reporting
- Assist in the coordination of the provision of information to external and internal auditors for their periodic reviews
- Assist in the coordination of the provision of information to the regulators of the bank during their examinations
- Comply with local, state, and federal government reporting requirements and sales tax filings
- The controller assists senior management in the responsibilities of the Chief Operating Officer in his absence.
Desired Qualifications: The controller should have a Bachelor's degree in accounting or business administration, or equivalent business experience and 5+ years of progressively responsible experience for a community bank or division of a large corporation. Preference will be given to candidates with the Certified Public Accountant or Certified Management Accountant designations.
Working Conditions: Primarily in an office environment. Will be expected to travel as requested for bank business and outside training. Occasional weekend or evening work may be required.
First State Bank
PO Box 6400
201 N Union Street
Danville, VA 24541-6400
Attn: Shirley Hodge, Director of Human Resources
or click here.
Equal Opportunity Employer Member FDIC